On Sunday, June 1935, members of the church of Christ met for the first time in the Court House in Ruston, Louisiana. It was soon learned that Brother M.V. Murry, a gospel preacher for the church of Christ was attending a summer session at Louisiana Tech. He agreed to preach while taking classes at Tech.
In April, 1936, Brother A.A. Walton from Shreveport began preaching for the church once a month. The Trinity Lane Church of Christ in Nashville, Tennessee with the help of David Lipscomb College, made a mission effort in Ruston. Brother Murry arranged a gospel meeting in the summer of 1936, and Brother W.L. Karnes of Nashville did the preaching. Among those baptized that summer was Maurice Hall, who later became a well known missionary among churches of Christ. In 1937, the Trinity Lane congregation in Nashville sent and supported Brother J.D. Boyd and the congregation grew during his seven years of work.
Finally, in 1937, a seven room residence at the corner of West California Ave and South Monroe St. was purchased for $4,000. This was made into an auditorium which would seat two hundred. The building had a baptistry and six classrooms. In 1939 a five room residence for the preacher's home was built at a cost of $4,200 on the back lot of where the church building was located.
In 1952, a new building was constructed at 302 West California Ave, for $20,000. The cost was kept low because many members gave their time and labor. Brother Arvil Smith, minister at that time worked daily on the construction. After many contributions, only $20,000 was borrowed and the note was paid off in 1957.
In 1972, work was begun on the present building at 2300 W. Woodward, and the formal opening took place on September 9, 1973.